Gratitude

by - 9:45 AM





I know some people saw the topic and just assumed they know what I’d be talking about. Maybe you do...I don’t know. I just feel it’s necessary to emphasize the importance of gratitude.

Good morning or afternoon or evening! Whatever time it is over there, I’m writing this in the evening. How have you been? I hope the new year has been going as planned? If it has been, I’m so happy for you! 

If it hasn’t, it’s still a new year. Things would definitely get better. Don’t stop just yet, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Without any further ado, let’s get into today’s topic. When was the last time you really thought about your life? Have you ever thought about the fact that even the things that you give so little credit are coveted by many?

You’re breathing fine but you know some people go through pains with every breath they take right? You’re reading this now but you might decide not to go any further. Some people don’t have that option. Counting your blessings doesn’t mean those who don’t have whatever it is that you do can go to hell. It shouldn’t also mean that you think you are better than them. 



I’d like to tell you a short story and let me just say that do not know how to handle (emotional) pain. My mind automatically just goes far and wide. I usually look for an escape or a distraction. I try to watch Friends or sleep. I’ve been unlucky sometimes that I wouldn't have access to an escape. Times like that make me feel like I’m going insane because all the emotions are coming at me altogether. There’s no pause. There’s no break. Just full on pain. 

Anyways, back to my story. I got news about something that felt like it was going to change my life. I would love to share what exactly it was but I’m not ready to go through that route. 

It was overwhelming at the time and after a few hours of watching the emotions trying to get me, I decided to look for a distraction.

I decided to go to a garden. This garden has a water body too. I just wanted to forget for a second and be one with the cool breeze. Maybe the breeze could blow away the scary thoughts. Scary thoughts of not wanting to exist anymore. Before I knew it, I started walking towards the foot of the water. 


 




Sometimes I want to talk about a topic but then I avoid it or just stop writing because I don’t want to access certain feelings. I can’t count the number of times people have told me I’m too emotional. Maybe I am.

So, I walked towards the water and was about to put my feet in when I saw something. You would never ever be able to guess what I saw. I could give you ten attempts and you still wouldn’t get it right. 

I’m almost certain there are moments in our lives that just leaves us in shock. You’re just experiencing a bunch of emotions that just leaves you concluding that there is in fact a God. This was one of those moments for me.

It was the bloated body of a dead man and it was just floating. What made it worse was the fact that it felt like I was the only one that could see it. It felt like I needed to see it to know that I didn't want to be dead. I didn't really want to die. Yeah I was down but it could have been worse and it wasn't. Instead, I needed to be thankful for what I had. I really needed to count my blessings and not fixate on that one thing I lost. I don't know what happened to the man and I am in no way saying that it was good thing cos that doesn't even make sense. Sometimes you just need to encounter some things. You might have lost one but you have a million others. You might think things aren't working out but God sees your hustle. Why not be thankful for the things that are right in front of you?



1 Thessalonians 5:18 -  In all things give thanks...

You May Also Like

3 Comments

  1. Friends (one of the best series ever imo) has also been an escape for me in the past.
    Thank God for God, and thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for life... Nice write up

    ReplyDelete